eBay Inc. Retailers Ship Enough Packages to Stretch From California to Chicago Over Holiday Weekend; Nearly Half Shipped for Free
eBay Sellers and GSI Retailers Offering Delivery Before Christmas With Orders Placed Next Week
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Dec. 16, 2011 – According to global ecommerce and online payments leader eBay Inc. (Nasdaq:EBAY), eBay sellers and GSI retailers shipped a total of 10,562,061 packages from Black Friday through Nov. 30, or an average of nearly 1.8 million packages per day. That’s enough to*:
- Fly three-quarters of the way across the U.S., from California to Chicago
- Span 180 Golden Gate Bridges lined up end-to-end
- Fill every seat in Dallas Cowboys Stadium … 22 times
- Stack Chicago’s Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) on top of itself … 556 times
With millions of individual sellers and larger merchants on eBay, as well as retailers and brands through GSI Commerce, the ecommerce and interactive marketing services provider acquired earlier this year, eBay Inc. has unprecedented insights on shopping behavior and shipping resources. This holiday season more than ever, consumers expect the benefit of free shipping and the convenience of fast delivery, and sellers, retailers and brands across eBay and GSI are meeting those needs.
Last-Minute Shipping and Arrival
As Christmas approaches, eBay Inc. is ensuring that shoppers will be able to order their gifts later and receive them fast.
- With eBay’s new Guaranteed Arrival program, customers can place orders through Dec. 19 with 25 top eBay sellers, including Toys“R”Us, Black & Decker, Ashford Watches, ShoeMall and Skullcandy, and receive their gifts by Christmas Eve.
- Many GSI retailers will offer shoppers the ability to purchase gifts up to 10 p.m. EST on Dec. 22 for delivery on the next business day (Dec. 23).
While consumers shopped with a variety of motivations on Cyber Monday, analysis from eBay Inc. indicates free shipping overwhelmingly drove shoppers to online stores:
- On Cyber Monday alone, eBay sellers shipped more than two million packages, 43 percent of them for free
- Electronics, fashion items and auto parts were the top categories with free shipping on eBay, with more than 75 percent of tech items shipped for free by eBay sellers on Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- More than 60 percent of GSI’s orders processed for retailers on Cyber Monday had free shipping
eBay sellers and buyers also benefit from giving and receiving free shipping. Through eBay Fast N’ Free, sellers receive discounts for offering fast handling times and free shipping, and buyers can tell as they’re shopping which items qualify.
For additional holiday data and resources, please visit eBay Inc.’s Holiday Media Hub at www.ebayinc.com/holidaymedia.
*Based on a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box measuring 11” x 8-1/2” x 5-1/2”.
# # #
About eBay Inc.
Founded in 1995 in San Jose, Calif., eBay Inc. (NASDAQ:EBAY) is about enabling commerce. We do so through eBay, the world's largest online marketplace, which allows users to buy and sell in nearly every country on earth; through PayPal, which enables individuals and businesses to securely, easily and quickly send and receive online payments; and through GSI, which facilitates ecommerce, multichannel retailing and digital marketing for global enterprises. X.commerce brings together the technology assets and developer communities of eBay, PayPal and Magento, an ecommerce platform, to support eBay Inc.’s mission of enabling commerce. We also reach millions through specialized marketplaces such as StubHub, the world's largest ticket marketplace, and eBay classifieds sites, which together have a presence in more than 1,000 cities around the world. For more information about the company and its global portfolio of online brands, visit www.ebayinc.com.
View earlier data reports.